WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

a parable

All Jimmy ever wanted was to play baseball. He dreamed about it day and night. He read every book he could get his hands on. He watched games for hours and hours. He bought all the proper equipment. And he practiced and practiced, then practiced some more. As Jimmy grew older, he looked for an opportunity to play. At first he was picky, wanting to be on only the best teams. But after a few chances, he found most of the best teams were already full and didn’t need him. So he began looking around, willing to play anywhere. But it always seemed he’d play for a while and then find himself on the bench, rarely asked to participate. He tried to make the best of it, happy just to be part of a team, but it wasn’t enough to just to watch the games. So finally Jimmy went to his coach.

“Coach, why don’t I ever get to play?”

His coach looked uncomfortable for a moment, then said,

“Jimmy, the truth is, you’re not very good.”

Tears clouded Jimmy’s eyes. “But I’ve practiced so hard and done everything I am supposed to. Coach, it’s all I’ve ever wanted.”

“Sometimes Jimmy…that’s just not enough.”

7 comments:

Chris said...

Ahhh...what a nice story.

That's why I gave up baseball in 9th grade!

Anonymous said...

I think I prefer the Partridge Family.
Whatever became of Susan Dey? I think I loved her?

warmandsunnydays said...

Oh crap. I thought things were on the (bad pun bad pun) upswing? (or is that golf?)

Anonymous said...

You really need to make room for more sudsy pop music in your life. Happy, not too thoughtful, ridiculously cheesey pop music. (Partridge Family songs do NOT count.)

I love you, Thurman.
PS Maybe tennis is your true calling? Bike racing? Badminton? ...Synchronized swimming!

stinkowoman said...

That's OK, I don't think bellydancing was for you, anyways.

ACE said...

Oh how I miss you, my friend...

Anonymous said...

Coach was wrong. That is enough.

Love!!

Laurie