WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

processing

'twas an amazing weekend, beginning with the arrival of an email offering me the role of puck and running furiously through the hours. too many thoughts to give each one the attention it deserves (mine own fault since i haven't felt much like posting this week), so i'll have to resort to highlights.

  • todd hunter spoke on the kingdom of God being a secular reality friday night and touched on the idea of vocare or calling, which mixed with my own recent thoughts on my calling and ordination. we are all called - that i get. and so i wondered what this meant for the concept of ordination - if we truly believe in the priesthood of all believers, why make a distinction? it can't all be for legal purposes, can it (who can marry, etc). wish i'd been brave enough to put that question to todd later, but i didn't.
  • i love these gatherings because i get to be in the presence of some amazing souls. i'd start naming them, but then i'd forget someone and feel bad. 'twas enough to be surrounded by them this weekend.
  • eric and andrea, the couple that stayed with me, were simply amazing. so many of us talk of trusting God daily; they are actually living it. they decided early on in their marriage to simplify to the point that they could follow God's leading at a moments notice. they trust so much that as of april 2, they have no where to go and no financial cushion to fall back on. their spirit was amazing and infectious. i entertained angels this weekend - or at least as close as we earthbound creatures can get this side of heaven.
  • i think i missed out on something saturday: bob ekblad spoke and so many people expressed what a powerful time it was. just not for me. his story was a powerful one, but somehow i wasn't tuned into the Spirit - or perhaps that moment wasn't meant for me. just hate being on the outside looking in. and that sounds just like the prodigal son's older brother - "why not me?"....
  • good to remember mark and chad's passing. hard to believe it's been a year. i found myself mourning again, though not so much the loss as the opportunity to see what God would have done through these men - and the opportunity to get to know them better. we sang "MLK" friday night during worship, and the tears just came.
  • george hunsberger talked about how in community, some were called to simply live, others were called to be "pastoral agents." this resonated with thoughts i've been having. more stuff to add to the stew i've been cooking this lent (hmm...i think my fasting is sneaking into my analogies...)
  • the gathering ended early enough that i was able to head down to southgate house with gina, mandy, angela, chris and eric to see liz and pomegranates again. great show. as good as she is alone, liz rocks with a full band. not something every singer-songwriter can say. belatedly, i decided to see if she had any copies of her ep left - she said she'd have to check (hey, if you're reading, did you find any? or am i going to have to "borrow" someone else's copy ;) ). pomegranates put on a great show, again. angela found the perfect word for them - exuberant. perfect. we didn't talk to any of them this week. guess we'll have to wait until the next show.
  • so great to have a sunday where i grading wasn't hanging over my head and i could just sit back and enjoy the day.
ok. thoughts on my first night of rehearsal will have to wait. lots going on. more later.
Æ

Tunes: the jesus and mary chain - blues from a gun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thurm!
I e-mailed you and haven't heard back from you, so I thought I would put the letter on your blog, hoping for a response...

I talked to Jeremy yesterday and he said you may be joining us Saturday night? Does that mean we're no long meeting March 30?
Do we have a schedule for the 24th? Jeremy said he doesn't get off from work till 6pm. Is the sun down by then? It's down in Heidelberg at that time.
Let me know so I can plan accordingly. Has Steve Ball been notified?

BJF

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm reading.

I have a few copies left.
I'm not sure I'll be there on Sunday, but I'll get it to you.

And don't be too excited. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. Something better is coming...

Peace.