WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Red Rocks Canyon

Not to be confused with the amphitheater. This is in Colorado Springs. Came here instead of Garden of the Gods because 1) I've been to Garden of the Gods before and 2) fewer tourists. You can still here the distant sounds of civilization - cars, chain saws - but still quite peaceful. Thunder also rolls, which makes my stopping a bit risky, but I don't think the rain will come. Or maybe I should say hope.

The trade off Tuesday went swimmingly (pun intended). WaterWorld was quite fun, though I was reminded why I haven't been in over ten years. Besides the interminable waiting in lines for a 30 second ride, I was struck by the flesh factor - so much skin, so little covering. Wouldn't have been so bad were not 90% of the patrons not under the legal drinking age. Guess I felt just a bit...creepy. But the five of us (Ryan's brother Dane joined us) had great fun sliding and slashing our way through the day.

Then we went to a microbrewery called Hops and met Paul and Shannon. There's always some trepidation when your world's collide, even if it was your idea. But all turned out well. No forced conversations, no awkward silences. An excellent transition 'tween the halves of my trip. We said our goodbyes at Hops and then Paul, Shannon and I headed into Denver to see the Rockies demolish the Dodgers 10-1. If you don't really care about the teams, you definitely want a high scoring game, which is exactly what we got. Fantastic seats, along the third base line. A wonderful night at the ballpark.

Still facing the dilemma I wrote about earlier - why I don't live here. And I know the rasons, mostly coming down to momentum. But what would it take to spring me out here? two thoughts come to mind - work or love. Both of those require action on my part, so the odds, not so good. But God has done greater and more unexpected things. Time to be moving on. More if time allows. Æ

No comments: