WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"This is our moment. This is our time."

Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States of America.

Just in case you didn't hear.

I'm looking forward to what happens next, to see if Obama can prove to be a different politician. If he can do even half of what he spoke of in his victory speech, his will be a memorable administration. At the very least, I won't be cringing every time the president speaks to the nation and the world anymore.

The best part of this whole thing: as I was reminded again tonight, Obama's not truly in control. God is. And even if the worst fears of the far right come true or Obama proves to be less than I hope him to be, I know my call is the same - to love God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength and my neighbor as myself. That never changes - and this call is the one thing I have some semblance of control over. I can't control what happens next in our country, but I can find a way to show love to all those around me. And that is something we as Americans can all agree on, no matter the color of our state. Æ

----------------
Now playing: Okkervil River - Calling And Not Calling My Ex
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Shannon and Paul said...

I loved the speech and all that went with it... but didn't this particular line remind you of when Mikey tells the Goonies at the bottom of the wishing well to keep going?

{My dorkitude knows no end.}