WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

kong, part ii, or son of kong....

was going to do this a reply to [info]peanutdowns thoughtful post, but figured if others were like me, no one would actually read the reply (i usually only read my own comments....).

obviously my communication skills were lacking during my previous post. i enjoyed kong. a lot. it was what i expected it would be. probably one of the better films i've seen this year, and certainly one of the best "blockbusters" i've seen in a while. and peanutdowns makes the excellent observation that the story was deep enough to be open to a variety of interpretations. i guess when i said "bare minimum of a story," i meant....well, not sure, exactly. maybe it's just because i know the story already and it didn't go much deeper than the original. not that it had to, of course - it is a remake, after all. i felt the story was much like bilbo at the end - like butter scraped over too much bread.

and i'm not convinced my post was meant to be a literary look at kong, more a personal response to what i saw. trust me, i can do the literary thing. but this wasn't what that was. or not what i intended it to be. it's what i felt more than what i thought.

and why do i feel the need to justify what i said?

as for the other part of the post....maybe i should have labeled my question rhetorical :) for those not following along at home:

"i mean, if a 25 foot tall gorilla can get a girl like naomi watts to like him, why can't i?" You must first learn to love yourself before anyone else will.

which raises the question, do i love myself? i've often been accused of self-loathing, justifiably on certain days. but i don't imagine that's something unusual for most of us. and my default position seems to be self-deprecation - the old idea of do it to yourself before others do it to you. so i don't doubt it seems like i don't like myself very much.

And I don't believe it's the way you were raised
or the cards you were dealt
or a poor self-image
I think you love yourself too much

this probably comes closer to my problem - i love myself too much. i honestly am quite happy with the person i am - in many ways i've become exactly who i've always wanted to be. and i am surrounded by people who like and love that person, too. so maybe i should just stop my bitching and moaning and get over myself.

good advice, indeed.

my disconnect comes because i've yet to love (and here i'm speaking romantically) someone who has loved me back i have too many amazing friends to believe i am unlovable. but i've never romantically made the connection. but that has more to do with other failings on my part - attracted to the wrong women, cowardice, a penchant for giving up too soon - than the idea that i don't love myself.

and maybe i love myself so much i've set my standards too high.

geesh, like i want to think about this stuff now - i'm on break, for crying out loud :)

nothing planned today - literally. should probably give the grotto a good cleaning since it's become apparent the work i was going to do around here is not going to happen. yesterday's shopping excursion was painful - my head felt like i'd spent the entire day taking a standardized test. but i did get a christmas tree - probably should take it out of the box and set it up, make sure it's what i want. will probably take tomorrow and go on a hike in the morning - hopefully the weather will cooperate more.

and i still haven't decided what i'm doing for new years. probably should get on that....
Æ

Tunes: old 97's - am i too late?

No comments: