WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Wandering Wheels - 15 January 1991

Well, so much for a day off. I am more exhausted now than almost any other time of the trip. This morning I woke right up (probably because I was sleeping outside in a canyon and it was very windy) and went and washed up 'cause we were gong to L.A. and Hollywood, so I had to look my best (well, at least for this trip). Then came the wonderful news: we were having class before we went to L.A. Which means Randy was collecting our journals. Thank God I had finished my homework. The classes so far have been interesting and this was no exception. We held it outdoors in an open amphitheater. How I wish all my classes were like that. We talked about communication and Tim, Chip and I "won" a little exercise on communication (Randy said ice cream for the first ones done, but later said he was kidding).

After class we loaded up, picked up the Taylor kids having class down the road and headed toward Los Angeles. On the way we stopped for a short tour of Pepperdine University. That was something else. $23,000 a year to go and we only found two Chevette's on the entire campus (and one was from out of state!). Then we drove on to Farmer's Market where we ate lunch and did some shopping. I finally got my postcards, which I need to send out as soon as possible. Then we drove through Beverly Hills. We didn't get to stop and shop but I think looking was quite enough (plus we'd never have gotten the girls out of there).

Then we drove on to the glamour capitol of the world, Hollywood. We drove down Hollywood Boulevard and let everyone off right after Mann's Chinese Theater. We were told to be back in an hour and a half at the bus. Not two minutes later, some people in our group found a guy who said we could get tickets to see the Tonight Show and the Seinfeld Show! Sudden change of plans! We were given half an hour to wander the streets then we had to get in the bus to go and wait in line. Talk about lucky breaks! Everyone was so excited!

So we looked around for a while and tried to find people's stars on the sidewalk (I couldn't find Errol Flynn or Fred Astaire). Then we got on the bus and headed off to NBC Studios in Burbank, California to see Jay Leno host the Tonight Show! I was so pumped. We were on our way when we realized Mike and Laurie weren't on the bus. Apparently they hadn't heard the message and no one knew they weren't there. So Matt, one of the drivers, drove back to try and find them. Meanwhile, the rest of us waited in line and were very loud and obnoxious (typical college students). The whole day almost made us forget that today was the deadline in the Middle East and Iraq's Sadaam Hussein. Almost. Even standing in line we wondered what was going to happen. It's been interesting being on this trip and the rest of the country is sitting around wondering and worrying about war.

Anyway, we waited in line for about an hour and we finally got into Studio One and The Tonight Show! The wait wasn't as bad because we were excited, plus one of the ushers came out and kind of entertained us. Lori Roberts went off on him when he almost asked for her identification.

The first thing I noticed about the studio was how small it was. Everything was really close together and the curtain was so small. The camera just makes it look big. The producer came out and welcomed us and then Doc Severinsen took over and warmed us up (he was wearing a bright neon green tie. Good ol' Doc!).

Then it was time for the show to begin. The guests were Jerry Seinfeld, Tyne Daly, Corbin Bernsten and Jeffery Osbourne. And of course, Jay Leno hosted. I lost my voice I screamed so much (wanted to get my voice on TV). The band was incredible! That would be my dream, to play in The Tonight Show Band. They were so tight and rocked the house. The show was a lot of fun (hopefully some people back home taped it for us), but I wouldn't want to be there every night.

After the show, Jay waved at us (ooo, thrill) and I got my ticket back before getting on the bus, which took us immediately over to CBS/MTM studios across town to see Jerry Seinfeld again on my favorite show on TV last spring, The Seinfeld Show. Man, what a day! We were sitting and being entertained beforehand by a band called Jerry's Kids. When they announced the names, I realized that the bassist used to play for Steve Taylor and Some Band. So during one of the breaks, I went over and talked to him and found out Steve has a new album coming out this week. Sounds like a must buy!

The stage for the show was split into four scenes, and they filmed scene by scene, sometimes once or twice. In between shots they had this comedian, Mark Jeffries, who was only vaguely amusing and who got downright crude occasionally. The best thing he did was play Stump the Band. I asked for I Want to be a Clone, but Glen Holmen wouldn't play it (well, not all - he played the bass riff really quick). Jerry came out and did a monologue (short, of course) and it was a riot!

The whole show as about how Elaine was going to move upstairs and how it would cramp Jerry's style and how Jerry tried to get out of it. After the show I waited around and got Jerry to sign my Tonight Show ticket. Yeah! Then we went out to the bus and went to McDonald's for dinner (at about 10:00) and then rode back to camp, listening to the news about Hussein and the possibility of war. A very eclectic, hectic and absolutely wonderful day off. Ɔ

Tunes: talking heads - road to nowhere

No comments: