WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Wandering Wheels - 21 January 1991

This was the hardest day of biking today; in fact, in my entire life. Not even when I was just staring. It's heard to believe right now as I sit around a campfire in the middle of the desert that I actually did it. Since yesterday, the roads have been dotted with cacti, mixing with the grass. Today we started from Ramona and the temperature was rather chilly (at least for this trip). Remember when I slept in a wind tunnel? Well, today I rode in one. From the beginning of the ride today, we went up. And up. And up. For about eight or nine miles. A nice, gradual climb under normal circumstances, but today was anything but normal circumstances. Until today, the weather was perfect for riding, no rain, no head wind, just beautiful sunshine. Today it was cold and extremely windy. I learned that I'd rather ride up a hill with no wind than downhill in a head wind, especially if it's cold! We climbed and climbed and climbed. Usually when we go up hills we can look forward to going downhill. But today, the wind was so bad, going down hill was worse than going u p!

After pedalling our butts off, we came down to the best bakery in all of California. And, running with the luck of the day, it was closed. So then we began our ascent up to Julian, a wonderful seven mile climb. About half way up, we stopped at a little Farmer's Market and bought some cinnamon rolls hot out of the oven and ate them out on a haybale outside. It's the stop like this that makes me love the group I'm in. It's the stopping that makes this trip great, not necessarily the biking (especially today's).

Anyway, I bought a slice of banana bread to eat for lunch and then we were on our way for the second half of the climb. I've definitely had enough of climbing. But the feeling of accomplishment I felt at the top is unsurpassed. It really makes me feel like I've done something important.

When we got to Julian, the elevation was over 4,000 feet. Not bad, considering we were at sea level yesterday. We stopped at a little market and I got two turkey sandwiches, my slice of banana bread and a Snickers bar for $2.30. Then we walked around a little more, looking at the shops around time. In one of the shops we met a lady who volunteered at the state park we're staying at tonight, Aanza-Berregno, and she talked to us for a while. Then we took off for the park.

Now the temperature in Julian was about 45 degrees and the first part of the trip was all downhill. And windy. And extremely cold. And I wouldn't change it for the world. It was one of the most intense experiences of the trip. I was behind everyone else and the view was spectacular. Five bikers speeding down curves, the wind blowing (and freezing) our faces and the mountains and valleys to either side of us. It's an incredible feeling to know you're going about 30-35 mph down hill on 1/4" wide tires. There's not hing like it.

By the time we were down, the temperature was up and we were definitely in the desert. The desert is so beautiful. It's incredible that just two days we were right by the coast (even just yesterday). The only problem was Chip flipped going down a straightaway and wiped himself and Ed out. I was behind them and it was certainly a sight to see. Luckily, neither were hurt and either bikes were ruined. The rest of the trip was uneventful, except for Randy almost being taken out by an RV.

We arrived at the camp and then some of us went to see a slide presentation at the visitors center. It was kind of interesting, except I was really tired and dozed off quite a bit. Then we came back and had a mighty tasty Mexican meal. Dennis and Chip wore their sombreros and we all did our best Three Amigo's imitations. We had a wonderful time talking and enjoying ourselves. Then they built a fire, we made some s'mores and now everyone has pretty much gone off to bed. And so am I. Æ

Tunes: crooked fingers - disappear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My little buttercup has the sweetest smile...

teaii said...

"... Come with me where moonbeams paint the sky
And you and I might linger in the sweet by and by"

i so should watch that again...

nice pic, btw.
Æ