WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Wandering Wheels - 17 January 1991

A myriad of thoughts all jumbled together are violently twisting about in a maddening frenzy looking for supremacy over each other in the swells and crevices of my head. Total exhaustion is numbing all of my sense, making it difficult to write. What a day. Starting early this morning, even earlier than usual. With an incredible day planned, an early start was imperative. So off we went, riding through the streets of Long Beach in the early morning crispness, trying to make good time, for we had to ride forty miles before 11:00 am. We went by many famous beaches: Huntington, Newport, Laguna. Huntington curled my nose hairs, with refineries on the left and the beach on the right. We then rode by Newport, which was a beautiful city, even with the darkening layer of smog snarling on the horizon (and it was even a clear day. I'd hate to see a bad one). Laguna Beach was next and our group took a break to mail postcards and shop a bit.

Then we took off once more, up hill after hill toward our initial destination, Dana Point. For miles we didn't see much or any of the other groups. Dennis had a minor spill and banged his knee up, but he continued to ride. When we finally arrived at our lunch spot, we discovered why we hadn't seen anyone: we were the first group. So we hung out for a while while lunch was prepared. A lot of strange thoughts were running through my head today and it has a lot to do with what happened last year at this time. Funny how certain days and memories can influence your entire outlook.

After lunch came one of the big activities of the trip: whale watching/searching on a chartered boat! It was absofantabulous. Standing in the bow of the boat, cruising over the waves, feeling the wind and the spray lick my face. We stopped at a buoy out in the water and the bottom was covered with sea lions. What a life, lying around, basking in the sun, bobbing in the waves. Then we went searching for whales. Didn't find any. But we did find a large school of incredibly playful dolphins. They swam right at the bow of the boat, frolicked in the wake and even leapt out of the water. It made me feel part of their world. They seemed to be having so much fun and were happy with who they were. I'm not right now. Looking at myself I see so many dark holes, so many things I could do better. It truly bothers me that I'm not reaching my potential.

Anyway, we spent two hours on the boat, looking round the coast enjoying the sun and waves and dolphins. Once we got off the boat, it was 3:00, meaning we didn't have much time left to make the 30 miles between Dana Point and Oceanside. Plus, Pendleton Camp, which is usually used for this leg of the trip was closed because of the Iraq situation and Desert Storm. But being the die hard bikers we are, we decided to try, yet one more time, to beat the sun. Randy got the directions and we were flying! The going was a little slow at first, with hills taking their toll. Then we found our own little road with no one on it and we formed up into attack formation and pumped and pedaled 'til we were almost ready to take off. To our left the sun continued its descent while we continued our ride.

Then it was time to get onto the interstate, I-5 to be exact. Then we were speeding along with the cars, inhaling their exhaust and being deafened by the grinding of their engines. At about the time the sun was touching the waters of the Pacific, we reached Oceanside. The sunset was so gorgeous, with the smog helping to set the sky afire. But there was, unfortunately, no time for pictures.

We met up with the Tour de France group and we both reached the church about the same time. I was so sore and exhausted by that time and incredibly hungry. So I laid down a bit, then ate dinner. Randy had class again, but it was cut a little short 'cause he was losing his voice. And now I'm going to bed, 'cause tomorrow we go to Sea World and Tijuana. So now my thoughts are on paper and I can now sleep in peace (until tomorrow). Ɔ

Tunes: nick cave and the bad seeds - o children

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It truly bothers me that I'm not reaching my potential.

Anyway..."

A classic display of the human condition.

PS (Speaking of potentials...) Thurman, love. It's Wednesday. Drum roll, please.