WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

the naming of things

i have what some have called an odd quirk (well, i have many of those, but i want to focus on just one for now). i tend to personify my inanimate objects by giving them names. it all started when i bought my trombone way back. i was at the height of my cyrano obsession, so it was an obvious choice - roxane. from then on, it only seemed natural to name these objects that hold meaning to me. and usually they are allusions to something literary or cinematic. my first car was heather (highlander), my second, guinevere (duh), my mazda, lorelei (gilmore girls); my electric bass, gretchen (king's x); my acoustic bass, daphne (greek mythology); my bike, celine (before sunrise); my tree, jarnsaxa (norse mythology).

those who notice such things will recognize all the names are female. those who like to psychoanalyze can discuss whether i have an unconscious need to possess women. or whether i use the naming as a way to surround myself with metaphorical women since i cannot seem to have a relationship of my own. or perhaps it is my attempt to particularize the feminine side of my personality, to find it in these objects i hold dear. yet again, it might be my way of sublimating my desire to have a daughter by making these beloved objects like offspring. trust me, i'm a therapists dream.

now since i bought my first computer back in 1996, they have always been known as karla, drawing from coupland's microserfs for inspiration. but now, ten years later, perhaps it's time to break from tradition and find a new name. my friend brent recommended scheherazade, which i like from a literary standpoint, but it doesn't really fit this beautiful piece of technology in front of me. i toyed with kaitlin, the female techie from coupland's latest jpod. but it feels a bit like i'm cheating. i'm quite drawn to titania for obvious reasons; plus, it fits the sleek look of the computer.

so, anyone have thoughts? ideas? comment if you would like.
Æ

Tunes: green day - holiday

13 comments:

miz fuhrell said...

how about "computer" ???

teaii said...

you so don't get the spirit of this...:)
Æ

stinkowoman said...

OH my. I just wrote a huge post of ideas and blogspot ate it. OK, here's my list a second time.
Hera (which would make you...),
Petra (from Ender's Game, but solid as a rock...city),
Portia (wife of many famous men),
Calliope (muse of epic poetry),
Siren (can't reist her call!) or
Thalia (muse of comedic and idyllic poetry).

Anonymous said...

Were those prior suggestions for Thurman or James Joyce?
I like Scheherazade, but not for the literary reference, but for the harem reference. So I’ll submit 10 more names. I know he won’t use any of them. I’d have better luck getting some NICMO from his harem than having him use one of my suggestions.

BJF’S TOP TEN NAME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THURMAN’S COMPUTER

10) “heads” Kristen / “tails” Veronica
09) “heads” Belle / “tails” Paige
08) Mary a GILMORISM… or is that a Tristanism?
07) Kate the Shakespeare reference
06) that chick from “Over The Rhine”
05) Desiree a Steve Taylor reference
04) “heads” Misty / “tails” Kerri
03) Kaylee
02) Majel as in Mrs Roddenberry, the voice of ST:NG’s computer.
01) Lorelei

miz fuhrell said...

option B:
"my bitch"

All the female reference, none of the creepy factor...

miz fuhrell said...

option B:
"my bitch"

All the female reference, none of the creepy factor...

Anonymous said...

"My bitch" is totally creepy, Thurman. Don't let Ang lead you astray. Why not, Pearl? So you can scream at it, "Mother of Pearl!" when it lets you down. And it's not a bad reference to The Scarlet Letter... Lord knows you could use a little scandal in your love life.

Anonymous said...

there are no "good" references to The Scarlet Letter... except the reference that isn't made.
As for Ang... she couldn't be MORE wrong.
The computer would refer to Thurman as HER "bitch". Get it right!

Anonymous said...

Given the love/hate relationship I have with computers, I can think of no better name than Eris. Eris is the Greek goddess of chaos and discord, known to the Romans as Discordia.

ACE said...

All I can say is... Wow. You people have WAY too much time on your hands.

I like Eric's. Rather perfect, I think.

Anonymous said...

This seems to be all Greek to me. Funny, I never new Thurman WAS Greek. I didn't know his new computer was Greek. Did he get a dell or a Delphi? Am I supposed to be eating stuffed grape leaves or something? Maybe he should refer to it as "the oracle". Would that appease all you Hellenic-philes?

Janet Pressley-Barr said...

I'm with Alexa : Pearl is my pick.

Anonymous said...

HAL. I'm so terribly original.

(or, I suppose in your case, HALlesse or HALicia or HALexis or HALgelina or HALly or HALlette or HALmary (HAIL MARY?).... I will stop now)


...kat