WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

question one

for a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again?
interesting this is the first question, considering i just watched corpse bride for the first time and it deals a bit with this idea. i'd like to think i would realize the importance of friends and family and feel the sacrifice is too much, even for someone i love deeply. but i've been waiting so long to love deeply and have someone love me in return that i don't doubt i would be packed and ready to go in a heartbeat. i sometimes think i'm cameron from ferris bueller:

Cameron has never been in love - at least, nobody's ever been in love with him. If things don't change for him, he's gonna marry the first girl he lays, and she's gonna treat him like shit, because she will have given him what he has built up in his mind as the end-all, be-all of human existence. She won't respect him, 'cause you can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work.
ok, maybe not that bad. but i can easily see myself becoming enthralled with someone to the point of being willing to give up everything just to be with them. i mean, i can always make new friends. and we'll be creating a family of our own, right? and this isn't some fling - it's someone i love deeply and who loves me deeply (i assume, anyway) and therefore she is a gift from God and He would not lead me astray. love is forever, right?

the thing that scares me the most about this is, while i joke, i do have a tendency to become (ahem) a bit obsessed. i remember in college, having a long discussion with mike about this, after i abandoned many of my friends in my obsession with stacy. perhaps this is why God has seen fit to keep me out of relationships (or has created me in such away that i stay away from getting involved). He knows once i meet someone i love deeply, they will become the focus of my life, to the exclusion of others. i'd like to think i've matured and grown since those heady college days, but as i've had few relationships since then (like one), i have no way of knowing for sure.

i'm not blaming God for my lack of relationships - i take full responsibility for that. but maybe in His wisdom He's allowed me to function well outside of them, allowing me the opportunity to develop within a community of friends and end up close enough to my family that we can be a part of each other's lives. and while it would be glorious to be deeply in love with one single person, i am thankful for the way my life has been shaped by the deep relationships i've been able to form with others.

ok, your turn. feel free to leave your own answer to the question in the comments section. the more people that play, the more fun we'll all have. really.
Æ

Tunes: asia - daylight

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I feel like I've done it. Twice, actually. And while the moving has been fine, the loving has not--in the end.

I believe I love too deeply sometimes. That I let my emotions operate unchecked. And I can't quite figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I mean--loving another person deeply is such an empowering experience. I feel open and capable and indefeatable. And while I'm supported in/returned (enough of) that love, those emotions are more than feelings... they are actionable, results driven attributes. But, on the other hand, loving someone so deeply has--so far--always proven a mistake. A mistake in that the love is not reciprocated in an equivalently passionate or committed state. Not in any way that lasts.

So, yes, I would do it. I don't have any attachments to my family, and my friends (simpaticos, blessings that they are) are always accessible via phone, correspondence, plane rides, voices in my head. I would do it because I believe free will diminishes the little chance of seeing anyone again, diminishes it so it is always there as an option. You simply need the means and the will to make those visits happen.

I love the adventure of the unknown. And I adapt well to change. It's not bullocks. I would do it. If I knew my life were not in danger. That's the only condition. ...Remote doesn't bother me. Widespread violence, random acts of terror and life without food... those are things I hope I never encounter or endure.

stinkowoman said...

I'd totally do it.

I did the eHarmony thing, and even expanded my "search" area to be country-wide. My career and degrees allow me to be employed anywhere in the world, and I am ready to go there. Is my husband willing to go? Can I find someone over 30 whose heart is still young enough, that wants to be adventurous with me? I don't mean be reckless or irresponsible...

I have to be honest that I have been close to depair lately. The most recent men I have found intriguing possible princes seem to be entrenched in their houses, jobs and churches to even consider a possible relocation or life change.

Is it them? Is it me? The enemy screams of my unworthiness for such a daring knave. The enemy is also a poo head.

Ah, well. Jesus knows the cries of our hearts and has already prepared the way before us. I'll just go on dreaming.

Amber Mc said...

I'm away now with the man I love...not to the ends of the earth but far enough. I struggle daily with the decision. New friends have become family but the cry of my heart for those relationships that have deepend through years of community is strong. On the flip side, I'd marry him all over again.