WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

question two

do you believe in ghosts or evil spirits? would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted?
i stand with bill here:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

i've always had a fascination with ghosts. some of my earliest memories are of reading ghost stories or hearing them and wondering about them. i had an old alfred hitchcock record that i listened to over and over and over again. strangely enough, it's hard to scare me now. rarely does a horror film get me worked up. i do believe there are inexplicable events in this world that we cannot make sense of. and i believe some of them may be caused by someone beyond the grave.

look, if we are truly immortal souls and if we truly believe there is more to our existence than this earthly existence, then why would we deny the fact that perhaps souls find their way back to us? i know for a long time we've sought to limit what is true to only what we can prove. i just can't buy that. it's like the celtic idea of "thin places" where another world exists just the other side of this one. and sometimes there's crossover. and just because it doesn't fit into our box of reality doesn't mean it isn't true.

as for spending the night alone in a supposedly haunted house....i don't know. i definitely could see myself getting myself totally worked up over every little sound. and it being remote - i just imagine myself becoming spooked and running out of a room, only to knock myself unconscious where i would be left while spiders and all kinds of creepy things crawled all over my body.

ah the joys of an overactive imagination.

so yeah, i believe in ghosts. and spirits, both good and evil. and i'd probably spend the night in a haunted house alone - as long as i was assured there were no spiders. ghosts i can handle. spiders are a whole different story....
Æ

Tunes: grant-lee phillips - lonesome serenade

5 comments:

stinkowoman said...

I hear ya on the spiders thing. I've heard statistics about that number of spiders that crawl into your mouth if you sleep with your mouth open...
I believe in ghosts, too, but that doesn't mean that I want to spend the night alone in an old house. How much fun could a restless dead person be?! Nah, I'm too much of an extrovert for that! ha ha!

miz fuhrell said...

are these questions for the online dating stuff??? what's next,
"who'd win in a fight..." questions? Actually, those'd be fun...

teaii said...

nah, these are from the book of questions i picked up. the online dating questions are much vaguer and frustrating.
Æ

Anonymous said...

I would arm wrestle you for the chance to stay in a remote haunted house all night. (I might not win though, so I would probably resort to just kicking you in the shin and beating you to the car . . . anyway.) I completely believe in ghosts and believe that in a few instances in my life I have actually seen some. The spiders . . . well, spiders are cool in a creepy death sort of way so they would just go hand in hand with the night. The dark side of me (which is so, so much darker than anyone really knows) makes me want to do it. But also with some other people so I could completely scare them so bad they pee there pants. Yes, yes that is funny. Poopy pants . . . not funny. Wet pants . . . very funny.

Anonymous said...

I do believe in ghosts. I have seen/encountered several. I also believe in evil, and (in my mind) it makes sense that since some people embody evil, some spirits embody evil.

Would I want to be alone in a remote haunted house? Or even one suspected of being haunted? No. Life is already stressful, and chance encounters with spirits are pretty damn unnerving. Why induce more stress? Why unravel your own nerves?