WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Wandering Wheels - 23 January 1991

You know, I thought today was going to be the worst one on the trip. But it turned out to be one of the best. I didn't start out bad. I mean, I woke up and everything was OK and I went to devotions and was happy. Then suddenly BOOM! I was on the verge of tears for some unknown reason. Then I got to breakfast at a little place called Ethel's and when I ordered my favorite breakfast, biscuits and gravy, they said that Dennis and Scott had ordered the last of them. So I settled for two hotcakes, which was good since the biscuits and gravy weren't that good.

Then the first part of the ride was extremely boring, nothing to look at, bumpy roads. The only excitement was when we scared a whole herd of sheep into running away. Everyone in the group was feeling kind of lethargic. Then we reached the sand dunes. We all took off our shoes and socks and had a great time sinking into the sand. I enjoyed myself by doing flips over the side. We played king of the hill for awhile and wrestled around. Randy was the winner, but only because he ran to the top while we were wrestling and then quit when we ran to tackle him.

Then it was time to move on. However, we didn't get very far. We took another dune break and Randy took off to take pictures. So we too k a few of our own and then Dennis and I went to get Randy and filled his shoes with sand. That must have fired him up 'cause he blew by us and we were off to the races. Luckily, lunch wasn't far away, in an extremely little town called Glamis, the off road rec vec capitol of the world. A bunch of the girls got rides from some of the guys around. Unfortunately, there weren't any female-type riders to give the guys a ride. We spent about two hours at lunch and the Randy got bored so we all took off. Oh yeah, we also piled fifteen guys into the van because the bus got stuck, but we didn't get a chance to push. Oh well.

Chip wasn't too happy about leaving, but we had a pretty good time, singing Christmas carols and stopping to throw rocks at bottles. After a small delay at the border patrol (for some reason they wanted to know where I was born), we reached the campsite. We are out in the middle of nowhere. We had to walk around and find our own firewood. After that I set up Lori and Nancy's tent since they had never done it and all of the Naz people had to sleep outside or else lose participation points. I then ran off to take some pictures of the best (and only) sunset I've seen in the desert.

For dinner we made hobo dinners, but mine burned 'cause I folded it wrong. Our tent was just the fly over the poles, but we made a little sidewalk leading to the cubicle and our own fireplace. In fact, that's where I am now, sleeping under the stars. I had a really good time tonight singing with Joel and Am and Ami - a bunch of songs from my youth group days. Now Chip, Dennis, Tim, Scott, Keri Thorne and I are all sleeping around the fire. A little bit ago we ditched a tent, the one I put up earlier. Right now Dennis is snoring up a storm and I'm running out of firelight so I'm going to turn in for the night under starry skies above. Æ

Tunes: mark heard - carry on

No comments: