WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

this could be fun...or really, really painful

so fifteen years ago today i went on a trip. mvnc offered j-term classes - basically a semester's work in about three weeks. nice program, especially since it allowed for some great opportunities. one of them was a bike trip down the coast of california, for which you received four college credits - three psych credits for Group Behaviors and one PE credit for Advanced Bicycling.

anyway, part of the class was to keep a journal and so i thought it might be fun, being the fifteenth anniversary of the trip, to let others see what i was like fifteen years ago. i'm afraid to find out how little i've changed. should be interesting. i'll try to label the posts so those of you wanting to avoid them can. i don't imagine they're too long, but they might be a bit painful. we'll see. do keep in mind i was still only 20 years old.

so without further ado, California 1991: Highway One/Wandering Wheels

*************************************
And we're off, goin' to California. To be truly honest, I wasn't as excited as I thought I'd be to leave. I'm not sure why. I feel like I'm on the edge of some large change and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's good or bad. So my trip started with rather mixed emotions. So far the trip has been ratehr uneventful. We left "The Naz" about 1:00 and traveled to Upland, IN and Taylor University. 24 of us traveled and there we met up with 15 from Taylor. There we ate dinner at a place called Ivanhoe's, which supposedly the best food around.

OK, I'll be honest. I started this last night and then we (were) forced to go to sleep and right at this moment the last thing I want to do is write in this journal. I'm feeling like excrement. Sleeping last night was a lot like sleeping in a coffin, for there was about 3" between my nose and the ceiling. Someone said that normally you go to sleep and you don't wake up 'til breakfast. Nnnnnh! Thanks for playing. I woke up every time the bus stopped. So, as stated earlier, I feel like excrement. I alraedy feel like I'm not getting anything out of this and I feel like an irresponsible jerk. Mike is doing much better than I. I'm not soaking it all in enough, not attuning myself to this trip and all it has to offer. I'm not feeling good about myself right now. And to be honest, I'm not sure why. Of course, knowing me, it'll probably change by tonight. Well, we ate breakfast at Catoosa, OK, wh ich means I slept (sorta) through Illinois and Missouri. Bummer. Maybe part of my problem is I look like one of the undead. So far I haven't met too many new people from Taylor yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance sometime soon. I talked to Dennis Bailey for the first time last night. He seemed pretty OK. Hopefully I'll get to know everyone by the end of the trip. Man, I can't get this bandana on. Oh well. Æ

Tunes: paul jones - diggin mammas tatters

No comments: