WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Wandering Wheels - 6 January 1991

Goodness gracious, we had yet on one more jam-packed day today. Last night about 1:00 AM we crossed into wild and wonderful California! Unfortunately, they confiscated all of our apples on the bus (which were the only things keeping me from spending twice as much on food).

By the time I woke up in the morning, we were well into California and on our way to Santa Cruz, where we spent most of our day. First we stopped at the Natural Bridge National Park, which was a nesting place for the Monarch Butterfly during winter. It was wild, because they clustered together and looked like a group of dead leaves. They mostly slept, 'cause it was too cold for them to fly or even move. From there we hopped on the bus and drove to Long Marine Laboratory, which is owned by UCSC. There was a skeleton of a blue whale there, as well as various sea creatures which we could pick up and touch, like star fish and sea anemone. We almost go to see the dolphins and see elephants, but hey turned us away at the door (bummer).

From there we went to the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park to look at the giant redwoods. It was incredible! It amazed me how old and how big they were. After Las Vegas, it was interesting that God's monuments are much more breathtaking than man's. I could have spent hours in the woods just walking around. This trip is truly showing me the wonders of God's earth. I'm so excited about riding down the coast. It's going to be great.

On the way to Monterey (which is where I am now), I saw a beautiful sunset. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a picture since we were in the bus at the time. I sure hope I get some pictures before this trip ends. Anyway, I'm staying at the First Baptist Church of Monterey. We got our first taste of Wheel's cooking and it was wonderful. We learned a couple of songs to sing in the service and I "testified" about the trip out. I love sharing in churches. It's great meeting people and it's a great feeling to know that people are thinking about you on the trip.

After a movie on Wheels, we had our first class session. It last half an hour and was really pretty interesting. Dr. Cronk read from All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten and talked about how we need to not just sit around and say it's all been done. These session will be a good time I feel.

Then (I told you this day was packed) we all hit the Bay, cannery Row. We walked along the beach and had a wonderful time. Mike was walking on the rocks and got stuck out in the middle when the tide came in. I laughed so hard. It was very amusing (at least to me). Then we walked around the town a little. For some reason I'm still feeling like a third wheel around Mike and Laurie. I think it's just because they're so close and I realize I'm not part of that. I'm continuing to get to know more of the Taylor people, which is fun and exciting. A few more people joined us today and we finally have everyone here. Tomorrow we bike for the first time. I can't wait! Ɔ

Tunes: breathe - how can i fall

No comments: