WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

23 Aug 2:30 PM

I fear my afternoon walk will be a hot one and thus a short one. But at least I’ll return ready for a nap, which my body craves right now.

I find myself disappointed with Willard’s book. Not that he’s making claims I disagree with – what he has to share is important and an excellent reminder. But it’s yet to challenge me, to call me upward, to reorient my heart toward Christ. Perhaps it’s because I’ve heard this call before and need only to recapture it.

I have appreciated his emphasis on effort, not earning. True, we cannot earn grace, but that does not mean we passively wait for it to arrive. We earnestly seek it wherever it may be found. I, in my journey, have been too willing to sit back and let God come to me. The same is true of my relationships – too firmly hoping the other will just happen into my life. We are called not just to “wait on the Lord” but to “seek first His kingdom.” You cannot seek by standing still – you must grab your pickaxe, your compass and your night goggles and search this wide world over.

And on that note, I walk. Æ

No comments: