WARNING!

Reading this blog has made people want to kill themselves, so if you are easily depressed, perhaps you should find something more uplifting to do, like watch a Holocaust documentary or read a Cormac McCarthy novel.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

23 Aug 8:00 PM

No clouds on the horizon to break up the sunset, which is sad, because you need them to make a sunset spectacular. Instead the sun hangs stagnant in the air, too bright to look at, too bright to watch its descent. Sometimes you need the clouds.

Or a good pair of sunglasses.

Funny idea (or at least I think it’s funny now. But I’ve not eaten for 24 hours so all bets are off). Since for this online dating thing I’m basically trying to sell myself, I thought maybe I should gather some testimonials, reach out to the plethora of female friends I have and have them say what’s good about me. I mean, they know better than I what women look for, so they could emphasize my true strengths instead of what I imagine my strengths are. Of course, I’ve never actually dated most of them, but the prospective buyers don’t need to know that.

Oh what a tangled web….

The sun looks now like the mushroom cloud of my youth, rising above the tree line, announcing the end of the world.

And now it’s gone and the world is safe once more. And all that remains are circles and half-circles burned on my retinas. And I am reminded of Cyrano’s words:

You know how, after looking at the sun,
One sees red suns everywhere – so, for hours
After the flood of sunshine that you are,
My eyes are blinded by your burning hair!

Yes, that is love.

A secret: I wrote the following on a slip of paper and slipped it in the cracks at the base of the stone cross on the hill that watched the sunset with me this week:

i seek Your kingdom
for therein lies the other
calling out my name

I hope, when I return (and I will return, though probably when it’s a little less buggy) to find that slip of paper – and to know by then who the other is.

Hope springs eternal.

As I turned to head back toward the Abbey, the sky was streaked with sherbet-shaded clouds. They’d been keeping their distance from the evening’s angry fireball.

And now I pray for sleep, so I may wake refreshed, ready to sing my final prayers here at Gethsemani. Lord, grant my body rest. Lord, grant my mind rest. Lord, grant my spirit rest. Lord, renew my strength. Æ

No comments: